Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Mom's Okra Curry ( Vendakka)

Now after most of the recipes that I have been dishing out here, I guess it’s time for something that really reminds me of home. This next dish is that special dish which is right from my mom’s kitchen & that makes it all the more special for me. After replicating this all these times, it still gives me a particular joy whenever I start cooking this one. This dish is also dedicated to my best friend Ridhi Devi who has recently been blessed with a beautiful baby girl!!!



Ingredients

½ kg Okra cut into small pieces
5 small onions (cheriya ulli)
1 ½ inch ginger fined chopped
2 Green chillies split//sliced
1 sprig curry leaves
1 small tomato
Tamarind juice- 1 ½ tsp. optional
1 ½ tsp. chilli powder
1 tsp. turmeric powder
1 ½ tsp. coriander powder
½ cup coconut milk (thick)
¼ cup Water
4 tbsp. Coconut oil

Heat 2 tbsp. of oil and fry okra until they are cooked. (They will be slimy while cooking, that’s ok). Keep it aside.
Now heat the remaining oil in a pan and add onions, ginger, green chillies, curry leaves and tomato and fry them until done.  
Add salt, chilli powder, turmeric and coriander powder and cook until the raw flavour  of the curry powder goes off.  Add fried okra and stir for 3- 5 minutes.

(Optional-Add tamarind juice at this stage if using).

Add coconut milk and water and bring to a boil.

Remove from the heat and add ½ tsp. coconut oil on top (pachavellichanna). Do not stir. Let the curry set for a while.

So Mom and Ridhi, this one is specially for the both of you!!!!! 

No comments: