Friday, May 3, 2013

Mixed Casserole

This next dish I have to mention a special note of thanks to my friend Anju Jento – an awesome cook & a gem of a friend. So it was the Thanksgiving season in 2010 & while I was biding my time in Connecticut, Anju (or known as Kunjoos) who also happens to be residing in the US handed me this recipe. So with some little additions from my side, I tried to make it up to my hubby for not serving turkey.


Ingredients

1.5 kg of french beans
1 large packet of sausage (I used mutton sausage)
1 tbsp. salt

2 tbsp. pepper powder
6 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 loaf plain bread
3 tbsp. of oregano or thyme or rosemary
4 tbsp.  Grated Cheese and extra for topping if required
5 tbsp.  Olive oil
2 packets of mushrooms (I used button mushrooms)
2 Onions, sliced
1 cup cream

Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add a big pinch of salt and the green beans. Cook for about 5 minutes, the beans should still be crisp. Drain them and set aside.

 Heat the oven to 350° F/ 180°C.

Tear the bread into 2-inch pieces, put them into a bowl, and add 1 tablespoon thyme/rosemary/oregano, 2 tablespoons grated cheese, and 3 tablespoons olive oil. Stir well to coat and spread onto a baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes just until the bread just starts to turn golden. (Yummy croutons) Remove from the oven and set aside.

Butter a baking dish (I used a square dish) with 1 tablespoon butter and set aside.

Take a pan and melt the remaining butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook for about 5 minutes and then add the mushrooms and shallots, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 10 minutes.

 Pour in the cream, add the remaining thyme/rosemary/oregano, and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the green beans and stir well. Put the green beans sausage mixture into the prepared baking dish, top with the croutons, and sprinkle on the remaining cheese ( if u like extra cheese on top.. go on who’s gonna stop you). Bake until everything is hot and bubbling, about 20 to 25 minutes.

Thanks a bunch my dear kunjoos!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anju said...

You are welcome dear..will definitely try with the addition of sausage..looks yummy!!!

Binu said...

Try and let me know... :)