Friday, September 20, 2013

Crab Roast


I am not a fan of fish (I am one of those few Keralites who don’t do well with fish), however when it comes to crabs, you can say that I am very much a CRABAHOLIC!! In fact the way I used to gorge crabs used to give me disgusting looks even from my hubby. This next dish is something that is always made for me both my mom & my mom-in-law whenever I visit them & the sight makes me go bananas. This dish can be served with plain rice/veg puloa.

Ingredients
  • 500 gms Crab-cleaned in vinegar
  • 2 medium Onion finely chopped
  • 2-3 green chilies slit
  • 2 stalks of Curry leaves
  • 1 Tomato medium finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp. Ginger chopped
  • 1 tbsp. Garlic chopped
  • 1 tbsp. chilli powder
  • 2 tsp. Coriander powder
  • ½ tsp. Turmeric powder
  • ½ tsp. Black pepper powder
  • 1 tsp. Garam masala powder
  • ¼ cup Thick coconut milk (Optional)
  • 1 cup Water
  • Salt- to taste
  • 2 tbsp. Coconut Oil

Heat oil in a deep bottom non-stick pan and add onion, green chilies and curry leaves. Saute until cooked. Add ginger and garlic and sauté for a while. Add chilli, turmeric, coriander powder, garam masala powder and pepper powder. Cook for about 5 minutes till oil separates.

Add tomato and cook until it cooked. Add salt.
Add crab and 1 cup of water) and mix well. Cover and cook for about 20-30 minutes. Open the lid and cook until gravy thickens.

Here at this stage, you can add coconut milk, if using, and mix well .Cook until the gravy becomes semi dry.

Transfer to a serving dish.





No comments: